For many of us, getting out on the trail grounds and reconnects us with something we don’t always find in the hustle and bustle of life. For some folks battling mental illness, trail life is literally a life-saver.
Preserving and maintaining thousands of miles of wilderness trails takes dedication, passion and resources. For that reason, we at HIKE for Mental Health have chosen to “give back” to the trails 20% of the funds we raise through our hikes.
Last fall, it was my honor to present Angie Williamson, Director of Philanthropy for the Pacific Crest Trail Association (PCTA), a check for $9,500 to support their vital mission of protecting, preserving and promoting the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail as a world-class experience for hikers and equestrians.
That check pushed the total amount given back to trail maintenance organizations since 2012 to more than $53,000.
Of course, none of it would be possible without the long-distance hikers on the PCT and other trails who register their hikes with us to allow their hikes to good for others. 100% of the funds raised with their hikes goes to our mission cause, with 80% dedicated to alleviating suffering from mental illness and the other 20% set aside as a way to “give back” to the trails.
We thank our hikers, our volunteers, and the donors who make it possible for our all-volunteer group to make this contribution. And we thanks Angie and the entire PCTA team for their unwavering efforts to protect the Trail along with all the value provided by its wild and scenic lands.