I’m walking a network of hiking trails (the SIA-IAT) that runs thousands of miles through countries around the North Atlantic ocean. I chose to register my hike with HIKE for Mental Health to help stamp out the stigma of mental illness and conserve wilderness trails. It’s also a reminder to reach out to each other on the reg, whether we have friends or family in a hard place, or have struggled with mental illness ourselves.
It’s often hard to remember how chronic depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses can fly under the radar during our regular interactions with one another. Contributing to a healthier setting and a more supportive community makes a load of difference. If you choose to donate to this organization, 80% of your funds will be used to support much-needed research into mental health treatments, and the remaining 20% go to wilderness trail conservation. Please consider making a donation, writing a message, or sharing this page.
Alternatively, if you’re not in a place to contribute financially, consider taking a moment of stillness or appreciation, either for yourself or someone else; or do a small thing to do today to make your setting more kind.
In unrelated news, don’t hug porcupines.
Thanks, humans. Your existence! It is good.
Find more information and trail updates at: https://iatsailaway.wordpress.com/
1 in 4 families is affected by mental illness.
HIKE for Mental Health is a recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded on the vision of a world in which everyone, including those who suffer mental illness, can find the simple joy of living.
Our mission is to alleviate the suffering of those afflicted by mental illness, eliminate the associated stigma, and foster responsible use of wilderness trails.
As an all-volunteer organization, we distribute 100% of contributions raised by our hikes.
- 80% funds scientific research to understand and treat mental illness
- 20% conserves national wilderness trails
Your donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by the IRS. Thank you for your support.
To learn more, visit hikeformentalhealth.org.
To join a hike click here.