2020 not only brought COVID and quarantine and social distancing, for many people all over the world there has also been illness and emotions that have felt out of control at times. For our family, 2020 also came with complete isolation due to Mommy being on hospice care at home for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder which made this virus especially dangerous for us. I initially stopped working in order to stay home and care for her but instead got stuck in self isolation, even from my family for an entire 8 months. I couldn’t get out of bed most days. In the first week of November, Mommy had a seizure which has never happened before. The next 3 days we saw her mind slowly slip away for longer periods each time. My sister, Amanda and I began taking 12 hour shifts each so that Mommy was never alone.
I began spending the mornings with Mommy watching Central Christian Church online. I chose the previous month series titled “Out of My Mind” and Pastor Jud Wilhite and the Central Live Band reminded me that I am not alone and taught me about the lies we tell ourselves. It was exactly what I needed to wake me up and bring me back to life again.
2020 took our Mom from us. Mommy’s family originated on the West Virginia/Kentucky boarder of the Appalachian Mountains. Mommy was always proud of her “hillbilly” roots and would brag that she is a “direct descendent” of both the Hatfields and McCoys.
In the spring of 2021 I plan to section hike my Mommy’s birthplace in her honor. My sister and I ask that you support Hike For Mental Health to honor her as well. 80% of the proceeds go directly to fighting mental illness and help stop the stigma attached. The remaining 20% goes to maintaining the trails neither Hike for Mental Health or my family will receive any financial benefits from your donation as 100% is put to work for these life altering illnesses. Help us stop hiding in the shadows and get the help we all deserve.
1 in 4 families is affected by mental illness.
HIKE for Mental Health is a recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded on the vision of a world in which everyone, including those who suffer mental illness, can find the simple joy of living.
Our mission is to alleviate the suffering of those afflicted by mental illness, eliminate the associated stigma, and foster responsible use of wilderness trails.
As an all-volunteer organization, we distribute 100% of contributions raised by our hikes.
- 80% funds scientific research to understand and treat mental illness
- 20% conserves national wilderness trails
Your donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by the IRS. Thank you for your support.
To learn more, visit hikeformentalhealth.org.
To join a hike click here.