On June 11th, I will be starting a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail is a 2193 mile trail from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mount Katahdin, Maine. This trail traditionally takes 4-6 months to complete; however, my plan is to hike it in 100 days or less. Although I know it will be a self-inflicted physical and mental struggle, while I’m out there, I want to do something to help people who are tested daily with unseen struggles. It is through my hike that I am raising money for the organization Hike For Mental Health. This organization gives 80% of donations to providing grants that enable scientific research, including the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation in New York. The other 20% goes to well-established trail maintenance organizations to continue to improve trails for all of us to use. My goal is to raise $1000 dollars while also bringing awareness to the mental health crisis and funding gaps for mental health programs in the United States. I am looking for small donations of $1 to $10 dollars.
Note: I take COVID-19 EXTREMELY seriously. During my hike, I will be following social distancing, wearing a mask when I am around others, and not entering areas until the National Forest Service reopens them.
Thank you for reading; the link to donate will be in my profile description. Also, take a moment to reach out to someone who may need it.
1 in 4 families is affected by mental illness.
HIKE for Mental Health is a recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded on the vision of a world in which everyone, including those who suffer mental illness, can find the simple joy of living.
Our mission is to alleviate the suffering of those afflicted by mental illness, eliminate the associated stigma, and foster responsible use of wilderness trails.
As an all-volunteer organization, we distribute 100% of contributions raised by our hikes.
- 80% funds scientific research to understand and treat mental illness
- 20% conserves national wilderness trails
Your donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by the IRS. Thank you for your support.
To learn more, visit hikeformentalhealth.org.
To join a hike click here.