Joanna Davis’s Lake Shore Trail Hike made the front page of the Statesville, NC, newspaper. The article compares what HIKE for Mental Health is trying to do with the stigma surrounding mental illness to the way Komen for the Cure de-stigmatized breast cancer and in so doing helped to spur better understand and accelerate research for treatment.
22 people have already signed up for Joanna’s hike at Lake Norman on March 30. Generous supporters of those hikers have blasted the hike past its original fundraising goal of $1,000, and Joanna and her team now have their sights set on $3,000.
“When I was going through my father’s death last year,” Joanna said, “hiking saved me. Hiking helped get me through it.”
She contacted HIKE for Mental Health earlier this year to volunteer to organize a hike.
80% of the money raised from the hike funds research grants through the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation to alleviate the suffering of mental illness. The other 20% helps maintain wilderness trails.